- What were you charged with?
- When is your court date?
- Which courthouse?
- Short version of ‘what happened.’
Schedule Initial Appointment to educate client about process of:
- What to expect.
- Potential outcomes.
- Next step procedurally.
INITIAL CLIENT APPOINTMENT
- Understanding of client, family (who are you).
- Confirm charges, court dates (review of court documents, bail documents).
- Long version of ‘what happened’ ~ detailed recount of incident.
- Review particular facts of the case in context of legal rights.
- Review legal process (arraignment, readiness, preliminary hearing, possible second)
- Clarify misunderstandings; Answer questions.
- Ample time is taken to understand client’s unique situation.
- Explain ‘reality’ of situation
- Explain possible outcomes.
- Formulate strategy to vigorously defend case.
- If incarcerated, formulate strategy (either O.R. release or reduction of bail to reasonable)
- Review: steps, timeline, milestones.
- Fee agreement (arraignment, readiness, law and motion, ultimately trial amount); coordinate release.